Question:
How many tap time steps are there?
2009-06-10 06:57:11 UTC
I qualified years ago as a dance teacher and i came away form teaching for a long time but i have been asked to teach tap again. I can remember every single step perfect exept the time steps. I know theres single, double, triple then single, double, triple with pick ups but i cant remember what is after that, can anyone help?
Seven answers:
Reese
2009-06-10 07:57:02 UTC
well actually you can make them as hard as you want.. there can be as many as you want, you just have to keep adding a sound in every time. but the most common are single, double, triple and quadrouple :)

theres two kinds of time steps though.. there's the standard kind..

(shuffle-hop step flap-step) single

(shuffle-hop flap flap-step) double

(shuffle-hop shuffle-step flap-step) triple

there isn't normally a quadrouple for that one though..

the other kind is like this

(spank-hop step flap stomp stomp) single

(spank-hop flap flap stomp stomp) double

(spank-hop shuffle-step flap stomp stomp) triple

i can't remember the quadrouples like how to spell them out because i have to be doing them.. sorry but theres the two kinds of time steps and i'm not sure which ones you do!

and i'm not sure what you're talking about with the pick ups? but if you give me more info i might be able to help you out
2016-10-17 09:46:17 UTC
Tap Dance Time Step
2009-06-10 09:00:01 UTC
Well, really a time step was just a move/step that tap-dancers used to use to give the band/musician(s) a tempo to play at. Now, however, they are pretty much just a good practice step.

The "one with the pickups" is the same time step. I believe you are referring to what most people call the "buck" time step. As my experience goes, it is the most commonly used time step. You can do it with, or without pick-ups.

I've heard of doing it single, double, triple, and double-triple, but it really doesn't matter.

I've also seen a "wing time step," and a few others that are probably not widely spread. It's like a local tradition before computers. It spread by word-of-mouth, and demonstration. I think I've even heard people say that they can trace their training by the time steps that they use, because they are often unique to one person or one group of people. With more widespread access to information, like the internet especially, it doesn't really work that way anymore...

~J
2016-03-17 14:30:24 UTC
I'm almost sure these are the names of the described steps. 1) Cramp Roll 2) Shuffle Pull Backs
Scatter
2009-06-10 08:42:22 UTC
Do you do the ones that are :

shuffle-hop-spring-tap-step-step

shuffle-hop-tap spring-tap-step-step

shuffle-hop-shuffle spring-tap-step-step

And with pick ups :

stamp-pick up-hop-spring-tap-step-step

stamp-pick up-hop-tap spring-tap-step-step

stamp-pick up-hop-shuffle spring-tap-step-step

What grade will you be teaching? i was wondering because I'm intermediate and I've never done higher than a triple.
ccc
2009-06-10 07:07:55 UTC
i thought there was 4
dancer247
2009-06-10 07:27:10 UTC
single - stomp (stomp on 8) brush hop step falap step (start over) stomp (this time stomp on 4) brush hop step falap step........

double - stomp (stomp on 8) brush hop falap falap step (start over) stomp (this time stomp on 4) brush hop falap falap step......

triple - stomp ( stomp on 8) brush hop shuffle step falap step (now start over) stomp (this time stomp on 4) brush hop shuffle step falap step.....

triple triple - stomp ( stomp on 8) brush hop shuffle step suffle step shuffle step falap step (now start over) stomp (this time stomp on 4) brush hop shuffle step suffle step shuffle step falap step....